Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reading, "A History of US From Colonies to Country"  was interesting, yet easy to comprehend. I think the author, Joy Hakim, did an excellent job of writing. She delivered the information in a very basic, but understandable way. By that I mean reading about history can sometimes be very humdrum to the average person. Her way of writing kept my attention throughout. I already had a decent amount of knowledge about US history before reading this book, but she added some really interesting points that I have never heard  before. I think she also hits both sides of the brain. What I mean by that is she will give you a fact about something, then elaborate on it, or give you several examples to better explain the fact she is trying to get you to know and understand. In my opinion, it is a very effective method to use when writing about history. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

3 comments:

  1. I feel where you are coming from John. Joy gives you the basic information that all texts include but expands with additional tidbits and extra information. I feel this would be helpful to all types of learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how many participants discovered information they did not know about these historical figures or this time period in spite of being well-versed in the content. Hakim gets high marks from many of you for her engaging style and multi-faceted approach to imparting (and stimulating) learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Hakim definitely writes with both sides of the brain in mind. She states her point then really dives into it by supporting it with primary sources and facts that are completely fascinating. I feel like I could be an expert on the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War just by reading Hakim's book. What is exciting for me is that I am remembering what she wrote. Often times if information is not presented to me in a way that jives with my brain I have a hard time understanding and comprehending the point. After 30 years I understand the the beginning steps to the development of our beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete