Thursday, April 19, 2012

Activity 2:
I just got finished reading Teaching Historical Literacy, and couldn't agree more with what was said about not having enough time to teach Socical Studies in elementary schools. With all the emphasis placed on Math and Reading, Social Studies does indeed take a backseat. All areas of education have been affected by these standardized tests. They are really hampering the creativity of our students. Another great quote from the article, "The curriculum has become a mile wide and an inch deep" is a great example of how teachers teach social studies and science. The idea of having more resources for students to use increases their interest is definitely true. I often put myself in my students shoes and quickly come to the realization that I enjoy learning something from multiple sources, so why wouldn't they? I was one of those students who lost interest quickly if something didn't catch my attenttion and keep it! The higher order thinking skills students need to develope are critical for them to become great learners. . . I agree with that wholeheartedly!

No comments:

Post a Comment